The Schonland Research Institute for Nuclear Sciences is
situated at the Northern most point of the East Campus of the University of the Witwatersrand in
Johannesburg, the financial and industrial capital of South Africa.
The Centre was founded as the Nuclear Physics Research Unit (NPRU) in
1958 under its first director Prof JPF Sellschop. It was part of the Physics
Department until 1963 when it became a separate research entity directly
funded from the University's research budget.
As of January 1998 the centre was restructured according to a
plan of the physics department whereby the centre became essentially
an umbrella of autonomous research entities each with its own leader,
research programme and independent recognition by and funding from the
University Research Comittee.
The Institute was donated
by the University to the National Reseach Foundation in December 2004.
It is now being operated by the iThemba LABS